||Study Sanskrit, read Sanskrit texts, listen to Vedic pundits chant, or read Sanksrit humor.
This site contains a wide variety of Sanskrit texts and stotras in the pdf format,
which you can view or print for your personal use. Most of the texts are in
Devanagari script, some with English translation. The Bhagavad-Gita, Devi Mahatmyam, all of the sahasranama stotras, and several other texts are also encoded in transliteration (by popular demand).
A lot of attention has been put into formatting the texts for maximum aesthetic appeal
and ease of use.
- Presents the Bhagavad-Gita in both normal print-size and large print-size, as well as a translation of the first 6 chapters by His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
- Devi Mahatmyam - Shri Durga Saptashati - Chandi Path
- Presents the Devi Mahatmyam (which is also known as the Durga Saptashati and as the Chandi Patha) in both normal print-size and large print-size, including the introductory and concluding stotras traditionally chanted before and after the Devi Mahatmyam.
- Selections from the Veda & Vedic Literature
- Including the 40 Areas of Vedic Literature, Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Ganapati Atharvashirsha Upanishad (also known as the Ganapati Upanishad), Yoga Sutras of Maharshi Patanjali, Shiva Sutras, Mandukya Upanishad, Isha Upanishad, Shantis for the 108 Upanishads, Mahavakyas, Pingala Chandas, and Paniniya Shiksha.
- Sahasranama Stotras
- Including the Vishnu Sahasranama, Lalita Sahasranama, Shiva Sahasranama (3 different versions), Ganesh Sahasranama, Surya Sahasranama, Ganga Sahasranama, Lakshmi Sahasranama, Gayatri Sahasranama, Saraswati Sahasranama, Durga Sahasranama (3 different versions), RadhaKrishna Sahasranama, Rama Sahasranama, Subrahmanya Sahasranama, and Shanaishchara Sahasranama (Shani Sahasranama).
- Miscellaneous Stotras
- Including Guru Gita, Guru Stotram, Guru Paadukaa Stotram, Trotaka's Hymn to his Master Shankaracharya, Ramashtakam, 2 Saraswati Stotras, Mahalakshmi Stotram, Mahalakshmi Verse, Durga Stuti, 32 Names of Durga, Lalita Stotram, Ganesh Pancharatnastotram, Ganesh Astava, Ganesh Ekavimshatinama Stotram, and Shiva Manasa Puja.
- Stotras to the Planets - Navagraha Stotras
- Including Aditya Hridayam, Surya Ashtakam, Surya Sahasranama, Surya Ashtottarashatanama Stotram, Chandra Ashtavimshatinama Stotram, Chandra Kavacham, Mangala Kavacham, Angaraka Stotram, Rinamochaka Mangala Stotram, Budha Kavacham, Budha Panchavimshatinama Stotram, Brihaspati Kavacham, Brihaspati Stotram, Shukra Kavacham, Shanaishchara Sahasranama, Shanaishchara Stavaraja, Shanaishchara Stotram (Dasharatha Shani Stotram), Shani Vajrapanjara Kavacham, Rahu Kavacham, Rahu Stotram, Ketu Kavacham, Ketu Panchavimshatinama Stotram, Navagraha Dhyanam, Navagraha Mantra, Navagraha Pidahara Stotram, and Navagraha Stotram.
- Transliterated Documents
- Including the Bhagavad-Gita, Devi Mahatmyam, Aditya Hridayam, Guru Gita, Ganapati Atharvashirsha Upanishad, Ganesh Ekavimshatinama Stotram, Mahalakshmi Stotram, Vishnu Sahasranam, Lalita Sahasranam, Shiva Sahasranam, Ganesh Sahasranam, Surya Sahasranam, Lakshmi Sahasranam, Saraswati Sahasranam, Durga Sahasranam, Ganga Sahasranam, Parvati Sahasranam, Gayatri Sahasranam, Subrahmanya Sahasranam, RadhaKrishna Sahasranam, Rama Sahasranam, Shanaishchara Sahasranam (Shani Sahasranam), Surya Ashtottarashatanama Stotram, Chandra Ashtavimshatinama Stotram, Chandra Kavacham, Mangala Kavacham, Angaraka Stotram, Rinamochaka Mangala Stotram, Budha Kavacham, Budha Panchavimshatinama Stotram, Brihaspati Kavacham, Brihaspati Stotram, Shukra Kavacham, Shanaishchara Stavaraja, Shanaishchara Stotram (Dasharatha Shani Stotram), Shani Vajrapanjara Kavacham, Rahu Kavacham, Rahu Stotram, Ketu Kavacham, Ketu Panchavimshatinama Stotram, Navagraha Dhyanam, Navagraha Mantra, and Navagraha Pidahara Stotram.
- Audio Recordings
- Follow along as Vedic Pundits recite various Sanskrit and Vedic texts: Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Taittiriya Samhita (Krishna Yajur Veda), Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita.
- Original Works and Scholarly Papers
- Knowledge-based papers related to Sanskrit, the Vedic literature, and Maharishi's Vedic Science, including:
"Maharishi's Program of Reading the Vedic Literature: Unfolding the Total Potential of Natural Law", "The Churning of Vedic Knowledge", and "Origins of Vedic Civilization"
- Learning Tools
- Off-site links to aid you in your Sanskrit studies.
- Favorite Books and Tapes
- Discover the very best Sanskrit and Vedic books and tapes.
- Sanskrit Humor
- Read, laugh, and if you want, contribute your own humor. Enjoy.
- This site is dedicated to His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
8,000 Maharishi Vedic Pandits at the Global Capital of World Peace in the Center of India:
We invite you to support this historic project to assemble 8,000 specially trained Vedic pandits in the geographic center of India to create global affluence and permanent world peace
If you would like to show your appreciation for all the work and dedication which has gone into this website, we invite you to click here or on any of the above pictures for information on how to make a financial contribution — through the Brahmananda Saraswati Foundation — to the historic project of assembling 8000 specially trained Vedic pandits in the geographic center of India to create global affluence and permanent world peace. Your contribution will help to quickly establish this group of 8000 Peace-Professional, Maharishi Vedic Pandits in the Brahmasthan of India. Through their daily performance of Transcendental Meditation, Yogic Flying and Vedic Yagya's, several thousand Maharishi Vedic Pandits at the Brahmasthan are already radiating an irreversible influence of peace, positivity and affluence to the whole world family. The Brahmananda Saraswati Foundation has the responsibility for funding the project and for creating an endowment that will ensure its perpetual support. This includes managing a worldwide fundraising program, receiving donations, and advising on the investment of the endowment fund.
If you would like more information on this historic project, please click here to view several videos on the project. The first video describes how: 1) two powerful technologies of consciousness from the ancient Vedic Tradition of knowledge — the scientific practices of Yogic Flying and Yagya — have been completely revived by His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi; and 2) how large groups of Vedic pandits, the world peace professionals of India, have been trained in and are using these technologies of consciousness to create a permanent state of World Peace. Modern science has established that a group of 8,000 expertly trained world peace professionals, using unified field based technologies of consciousness, can create permanent and lasting peace in the world. The second video uses principles of modern science to explain how the technologies of consciousness create peace for the entire world — from the level of the unified field of natural law and human consciousness — by creating coherence in the neurophysiology of the human brain and in the extended environment. The third video describes the progress in assembling a large group of world peace professionals — Maharishi Vedic Pandits — at the Brahmasthan of India. Tens of thousands of Vedic pandits from the traditional families of India are being trained and fully supported, so that they can be full-time world peace creating professionals. Working with many of the greatest Vedic scholars and teachers of India, His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi has restored the program for training Vedic Pandits to the highest standards of purity and effectiveness. The Vedic Pandits' routine of life is designed to develop the full potential (enlightenment) of the pandit and complete wisdom of life through the practice of the technologies of consciousness and the study of Ved and Vedic literature. The fourth video provides a report on the construction of the Global Capital of World Peace — a master planned city for 8,000 and eventually 16,000 world peace professionals — that is being built, according to the principles of Vedic architecture in the center or Brahmasthan of India. The Brahmasthan or geographic center point of India is the center of Natural Law for India and the world. Establishing the Global Capital of World Peace at this location will maximize the peace creating influence created by the Vedic pandits.
The two photos of the Brahmasthan shown above reveal only a small portion of the vast facility that has been constructed at this location in the heart of India, in a rural setting of great beauty, purity and profound silence. The atmosphere in this holy place is like no where else on Earth. It is a home for the Maharishi Vedic Pandits, who are specially trained experts in the Peace Technologies of the Unified Field. Their admirable profession is to create a powerful influence of peace and positivity for the whole world. For thousands of years the great Vedic Families of India have maintained a tradition of Vedic recitation to create balance, harmony and progress for all society.
Here are two short video slideshows of the Vedic Pandits at the Brahmasthan of India, which will give you a better idea of the vast size, scope, and historic nature of this project:
Vedic Pandits at the Brahmasthan of India - Video #1
Vedic Pandits at the Brahmasthan of India - Video #2
Live performances of Rudra Abhishek Yagya from the Brahmasthan of India:
Enjoy the blessings of the Maharishi Vedic Pandits online
Live performances of Rudra Abhishek Yagya from the Brahmasthan of India can be viewed every day at 6:30 am, 9:30 am, 12:30 pm, and 3:30 pm Indian time, on channel 2 of the Maharishi Channel:
NOTE: India is 3 1/2 hours ahead of Central European Time and 9 1/2 hours ahead of East Coast US time.
It is not necessary to install any fonts in order
to view the Sanskrit texts. All files on this site are in the PDF format.
In order to view or print these texts, you will need Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Reader.
If you do not already have it on your computer you can
download a copy for free from Adobe. If you want to listen to audio recordings and do not
have Real Player, then you can
download a free copy of Real Player (don't bother buying the fancy player; you don't need it).
All texts have been carefully proof-read. Every effort has been made to ensure that
no errors exist in these texts. If you find an error, please report it so that
it can be corrected.
You can e-mail us at:
Vishnu Sahasranama, Surya Sahasranama, RadhaKrishna Sahasranama, Rama Sahasranama, Durga Sahasranama, Gayatri Sahasranama, Parvati Sahasranama, Lakshmi Sahasranama, Saraswati Sahasranama, Shanaishchara Sahasranama, Shiva Sahasranama (from the Mahabharata), Ganesh Ekavimshatinama Stotram, and Surya Ashtottarashatanama Stotram were supplied by Kirk Wortman. The Dakaradi Durga Sahasranama (from the Kularnava Tantra), Chandra Ashtavimshatinama Stotram, Chandra Kavacham, Mangala Kavacham, Budha Kavacham, Budha Panchavimshatinama Stotram, Brihaspati Kavacham, Rahu Kavacham, Rahu Stotram, Ketu Kavacham, Navagraha Dhyanam, and Navagraha Mantra were supplied by Ravin Bhalekar. The Suryashtakam, Ramashtakam, Durga Stuti, Ganesh Pancharatnastotram, both Saraswati Stotras, Shukra Kavacham, and "Maharishi's Program of Reading the Vedic Literature: Unfolding the Total Potential of Natural Law" were supplied by William Sands PhD. Paniniya Shiksha, Lalita Sahasranama, Guru Paduka Stotram and "Churning of Vedic Knowledge" were supplied by Detlef Eichler. "Origins of Vedic Civilization" was supplied by Kenneth Chandler PhD. The Guru Gita was supplied by Kapila Shankaran, Mrs. Shankaran, and Sunder Hattangadi. The Shiva Sahasranama which is from the Shivarahasya Itihasa (and which also appears in the Rudrayamala Tantra) was supplied by R. Ravichander. Peter Hodak supplied the following texts: Shiva Sahasranama (from the Linga Purana)
and Ganga Sahasranama. Subrahmanya Sahasranama and Ganesh Sahasranama were supplied by the team of Peter Hodak and Kirk Wortman. Devi Mahatmyam was supplied by the team of Sunder Hattangadi, Smt. K. Shankaran, and Kirk Wortman.
Audio recordings of the Devi Mahatmyam and the Ganapati Atharvashirsha Upanishad are supplied by GRD Iyers.
We wish to thank the Omkarananda Ashram for the Devanagari fonts, Roman Transliteration font, and "Itranslator99" software which were used to produce most of the texts and stotras. The Itranslator99 software was used to convert the ITRANS code -- in which most of the Sanskrit documents were originally encoded -- into Devanagari text. Please see the link below to download their free Itranslator99 software and fonts.
We would like to give a special thank you to
Craig Ridgley for giving us the space for this site.
Here are some links to sites of related interest.
- Vedic Literature Collection at Maharishi University of Management (MUM)
- A magnificent website! This is unquestionably the best and most comprehensive collection of Sanskrit texts available online. The vastness and profundity of virtually the entire body of ancient Vedic Literature is on display here, freely available and easily accessible. MUM's Vedic Literature Collection comprises almost 60,000 pages of Vedic texts, including rare, sought-after, or out-of-print publications; most of this collection is now online. Scholars and libraries from around the world contributed to the project by providing texts. MUM's Vedic Literature Collection orders the previously scattered Vedic texts according to the principles of ancient Vedic Science revived by His Holiness Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The 40 areas of Vedic Literature available at this website include Rig-Veda, Sama-Veda, Yajur-Veda, Atharva-Veda, the Vedangas, the Upangas (Darshanas), the Upavedas, the Smritis, most of the Puranas and Upapuranas, Mahabharata, Ramayana, the major Upanishads, the Brahmanas, the Aranyakas, all of the major Ayurvedic texts, and the Pratishakhyas. All the Sanskrit texts at this website are available as downloadable PDF files.
- Sanskrit Documents
- An ambitious endeavor covering all aspects of
learning and studying Sanskrit. Find original texts and stortas, learning tools, dictionaries,
software for processing Devanagari, and links to other valuable resources.
- Tripura Rahasya
- This amazing book is a dialog between Dattatreya and Parasurama in English translation. If you like the Yoga Vasishta, you will love this book. alternate
- Voice of Sankara
- 30 shlokas from Sankara presented in Sanskrit, with equivalent phonetics in English, and their translation as well.
- Sacred Texts
- English translations of many texts including: Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda, Atharva Veda,
Dharma Sutras, Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Devi Bhagavatam, and 10 different Upanishads.
- Sanskrit Bharati Home Page
- A site for reviving the Sanskrit language in India.
- Omkarananda Ashram's Sanskrit Page
- Omkarananda Ashram provides free downloads of their beautiful Sanskrit99 & AncientSanskrit99 fonts, as well as their "URW Palladio IT" transliteration font. Also, they provide free downloads of the best ITRANS-to-Devanagari conversion software available anywhere, called "Itranslator99". I have used their Itranslator99 software and their Sanskrit & transliteration fonts to produce most of the texts on my Sanskrit Document List page (click link at top or bottom of this page to go to my Sanskrit Document List page). Itranslator 99 is a free utility which converts ITRANS 5.30 encoded text or text files into Devanagari or Transliteration (True Type), which can be saved in Rich Text Format (.rtf), as web page (.htm), as ANSI text (.txt), or pasted via clipboard in any other application.
- GRD Iyers
- A site with high-quality audio recordings of many Sanskrit texts. We have provided links to some of these Sanskrit texts on our Sanskrit Document List page and our Audio page.
- Navagraha Home Page
- A site with much information on the nine grahas of Jyotish, including stotras and other Sanskrit texts.
- Vedic Art Gallery
- Many high quality pictures of your favorite deities. A great resource.
- Other links
- Find a complete set of links on the Sanskrit Documents site.